Enabling people to retain their independence and stay in their own home is one of the aims of Birchwood Care Services. The team do this by offering personalised support packages, which may include domestic support.
Mary is one of our Domestic Support Workers and spends her time visiting clients at home and assisting with household chores whilst keeping them company.
“A typical working day for me might include visiting 3-4 clients in their own homes to assist with any household chores, shopping, preparing meals, relieving carers for breaks, spending time talking, or doing activities they enjoy with them. The needs are very individual and varied,” explained Mary.
Mary enjoys her work and particularly likes the jobs where she can see the difference she’s made. She finds it rewarding to make a positive impact on someone’s day.
“Being invited into someone’s home is a privilege and I enjoy getting to know the clients and working out the best way to help them,” explained Mary
Working during a pandemic has involved wearing PPE which has its issues: “I look forward to not wearing PPE when we can, as it doesn’t help with communication. I feel Covid has impacted people emotionally and caused more loneliness and isolation.”
Mary enjoys spending time with her clients and when she isn’t working she enjoys making candles – since lockdown she’s made 168!
With things warming up she is looking forward to a holiday to Minehead in July to spend some time with her husband, daughter and her daughter’s boyfriend.
Other articles you may like
- Domestic support is available in your homeKeeping things clean and tidy in your own home can get tougher as you get older. Vacuuming and laundry can be harder toContinue reading “Domestic support is available in your home”
- Meet Care Co-ordinator GeorgiaGeorgia is one of three Care Co-ordinators at Birchwood Care Services and has worked with the organisation for 10 months. She is undertakingContinue reading “Meet Care Co-ordinator Georgia”
- Tips for keeping the elderly safe during extreme heatTips for keeping the elderly safe during extreme heat Here in Britain, we are simply not used to high temperatures we sometimes experienceContinue reading “Tips for keeping the elderly safe during extreme heat”
- Birchwood to host Summer Open Day in JuneWe are delighted to announce that Birchwood Care will be hosting an Open Day on Saturday 26th June from 2-4pm. The Open Day willContinue reading “Birchwood to host Summer Open Day in June”
- Your questions answered about a care assessmentWe understand a lot of different terms are used within the industry when it comes to home assessments and what is involved atContinue reading “Your questions answered about a care assessment”
- Cream Tea Giveaway – who will you invite for tea?We’re giving away a Cream Tea for Two with the May issue of Birchwood Care and on our Facebook page. Our Chef atContinue reading “Cream Tea Giveaway – who will you invite for tea?”
- Meet Mary, Domestic Support Worker at Birchwood.Enabling people to retain their independence and stay in their own home is one of the aims of Birchwood Care Services. The teamContinue reading “Meet Mary, Domestic Support Worker at Birchwood.”
- Meet Bethany – Care Co-ordinator at Birchwood.Every day is different and rewarding, says Care Co-ordinator and Relief Supervisor Bethany, who has worked for Birchwood Care Services for just overContinue reading “Meet Bethany – Care Co-ordinator at Birchwood.”
- The Power Of Aromatherapy For The ElderlyThe Power Of Aromatherapy For The Elderly. Aromatherapy is the use of aromatic plants or essential oils to promote wellbeing through scent andContinue reading “The Power Of Aromatherapy For The Elderly”