Meet Domestic Support Worker – Mary
Enabling people to retain their independence and stay in their own home is one of the aims of Birchwood Care Services. The team do this by offering personalised support packages, which may include domestic support.
Mary is a Domestic Support Worker and spends her time visiting clients at home and assisting with household chores whilst keeping them company.
“A typical working day for me might include visiting 3-4 clients in their own homes to assist with any household chores, shopping, preparing meals, relieving carers for breaks, spending time talking, or doing activities they enjoy with them. The needs are very individual and varied,” explained Mary.
Mary enjoys her work as a Domestic Support Worker and particularly likes the jobs where she can see the difference she’s made. She finds it rewarding to make a positive impact on someone’s day.
“Being invited into someone’s home is a privilege and I enjoy getting to know the clients and working out the best way to help them,” explained Mary
Working during a pandemic has involved wearing PPE which has its issues: “I look forward to not wearing PPE when we can, as it doesn’t help with communication. I feel Covid has impacted people emotionally and caused more loneliness and isolation.”
Mary enjoys spending time with her clients and when she isn’t working she enjoys making candles – since lockdown she’s made 168!
With things warming up she is looking forward to a holiday to Minehead in July to spend some time with her husband, daughter and her daughter’s boyfriend.
You can learn more about a number of our members of staff here on the blog. We’ve also introduced Care Co-ordinator, Georgia.
Other articles you may like
- Helping to combat lonelinessHelping to combat loneliness Unfortunately, 50% of individuals aged over 60 are at risk of social isolation and one-third will experience some degreeContinue reading “Helping to combat loneliness”
- Live independently at home for longerWe have spoken before about top tips for fall proofing your home and this really can have a significant impact as falls will often be a key contributor to needing more round the clock care as they can have serious implications for the elderly depending on the severity.
- Three huge benefits of walking for the elderlyThree huge benefits of walking for the elderly Did you know that May is National Walking Month? As the country is opening upContinue reading “Three huge benefits of walking for the elderly”
- What care options are available?Families going through the emotional stress of placing a spouse or relative into care, often tell us they find the terminology confusing so this blog aims to help explain the different types of care available. Understandably, most elderly people want to live independently in their own homes for as long as they can. But many people are not aware of what their local options are.
- A moment to reflect this Aprild you know that we celebrated National Reflection Day recently? Reflection day is about taking time to connect, supporting the millions of people who are grieving and remembering the family, friends, neighbours and colleagues we’ve lost over the last two years. Marie Curie spearheaded the campaign for a Day of Reflection to mark the anniversary of the beginning of the first UK Lockdown – and to let bereaved people know that they are not alone.
- What is home care?Many of our clients want to live independently in their own home for as long as they can. It is for this reason they choose us as the home care service we provide in and around the Tunbridge Wells, Tonbridge and Sevenoaks areas helps facilitate this.
- Why hire an at-home carer?Why hire an at-home carer? We love our families dearly and in an ideal world we’d all be able to take care ofContinue reading “Why hire an at-home carer? “
- Welcoming in spring at Birchwood Care ServicesWelcoming in spring at Birchwood Care Services Spring has sprung at Birchwood Care Services. The official start to the season might not beContinue reading “Welcoming in spring at Birchwood Care Services”
- Sharing the Valentine’s love this FebruarySharing the Valentine’s love this February Celebrating our staff This month, Birchwood Care Services is sharing the Valentine’s love with a blog celebratingContinue reading “Sharing the Valentine’s love this February”