An Introduction To Wendy Ryan – Manager of Birchwood Care Services
I’ve worked in the industry for 25 years and been at Birchwood for over 10 years. Since 1994 I was looking for a company where I felt the values important to me personally, would be reflected in the company ethos. It was key to me that this was an independently-owned business. I believe if you own something directly, then you will nurture and look after it, it isn’t just a job.
My first impression was what a lovely friendly family feeling the place had. It is a family-owned company, and after meeting the owner of Birchwood Care Services, it was evident straight away that we shared some of the same values. I knew I would enjoy working here. I was excited to be part of the vision to grow the company retaining the personable feel which drew me here in the first place but to never lose sight of what we wanted to deliver. This was and still is a compassionate quality service maintaining the independence of each and every one of our clients, whilst valuing our staff.
My role is to be responsible for and to everyone, who works in or uses our services. This is across recruiting supporting and mentoring staff, HR, finance, quality assurance, marketing, meeting regulatory recruitments and everything and anything in between.
The most interesting thing about my role, and about the work I do is every day is a different day, and that is because we work with people for people. I can have a day where I will have planned to do XYZ, and for whatever reason, it takes a completely different route. I like the variety, having to sometimes think on my feet. I love the interaction I have daily with my team and my clients.
The main difference I’ve found working for Birchwood compared to other care providers I’ve managed, is you feel part of something special, not just an employee.
I know all my staff by name because I see them all regularly. And I know all the clients and their families because I’ve either met them or spoken to them.
Because we are not part of a large organisation with multiple departments, we work as a team.
Other articles you may like
- Win a fabulous Afternoon Tea Delights Hamper
- Domestic support is available in your homeKeeping things clean and tidy in your own home can get tougher as you get older. Vacuuming and laundry can be harder toContinue reading “Domestic support is available in your home”
- Meet Care Co-ordinator GeorgiaGeorgia is one of three Care Co-ordinators at Birchwood Care Services and has worked with the organisation for 10 months. She is undertakingContinue reading “Meet Care Co-ordinator Georgia”
- Tips for keeping the elderly safe during extreme heatTips for keeping the elderly safe during extreme heat Here in Britain, we are simply not used to high temperatures we sometimes experienceContinue reading “Tips for keeping the elderly safe during extreme heat”
- Birchwood to host Summer Open Day in JuneWe are delighted to announce that Birchwood Care will be hosting an Open Day on Saturday 26th June from 2-4pm. The Open Day willContinue reading “Birchwood to host Summer Open Day in June”
- Your questions answered about a care assessmentWe understand a lot of different terms are used within the industry when it comes to home assessments and what is involved atContinue reading “Your questions answered about a care assessment”
- Cream Tea Giveaway – who will you invite for tea?We’re giving away a Cream Tea for Two with the May issue of Birchwood Care and on our Facebook page. Our Chef atContinue reading “Cream Tea Giveaway – who will you invite for tea?”
- Meet Mary, Domestic Support Worker at Birchwood.Enabling people to retain their independence and stay in their own home is one of the aims of Birchwood Care Services. The teamContinue reading “Meet Mary, Domestic Support Worker at Birchwood.”
- Meet Bethany – Care Co-ordinator at Birchwood.Every day is different and rewarding, says Care Co-ordinator and Relief Supervisor Bethany, who has worked for Birchwood Care Services for just overContinue reading “Meet Bethany – Care Co-ordinator at Birchwood.”