Meet Wendy – Manager
Manager, Wendy, discusses her industry experience and why she loves working in the care sector.
I’ve worked in the industry for 25 years and have been at Birchwood for over 10 years. Since 1994 I was looking for a company where I felt the values important to me personally, would be reflected in the company ethos. It was key to me that this was an independently-owned business. I believe if you own something directly, then you will nurture and look after it, it isn’t just a job.
My first impression was what a lovely friendly family feeling the place had. It is a family-owned company, and after meeting the owner of Birchwood Care Services, it was evident straight away that we shared some of the same values. I knew I would enjoy working here. I was excited to be part of the vision to grow the company retaining the personable feel which drew me here in the first place but to never lose sight of what we wanted to deliver. This was and still is a compassionate quality service maintaining the independence of each and every one of our clients, whilst valuing our staff.
My role is to be responsible for and to everyone, who works in or uses our services. This is across recruiting supporting and mentoring staff, HR, finance, quality assurance, marketing, meeting regulatory recruitments and everything and anything in between.
The most interesting thing about my role, and about the work I do is every day is a different day, and that is because we work with people for people. I can have a day where I will have planned to do XYZ, and for whatever reason, it takes a completely different route. I like the variety, having to sometimes think on my feet. I love the interaction I have daily with my team and my clients.
The main difference I’ve found working for Birchwood compared to other care providers I’ve managed, is you feel part of something special, not just an employee.
I know all my staff by name because I see them all regularly. And I know all the clients and their families because I’ve either met them or spoken to them.
Because we are not part of a large organisation with multiple departments, we work as a team.
Other articles you may like
- Helping to combat lonelinessHelping to combat loneliness Unfortunately, 50% of individuals aged over 60 are at risk of social isolation and one-third will experience some degreeContinue reading “Helping to combat loneliness”
- Live independently at home for longerWe have spoken before about top tips for fall proofing your home and this really can have a significant impact as falls will often be a key contributor to needing more round the clock care as they can have serious implications for the elderly depending on the severity.
- Three huge benefits of walking for the elderlyThree huge benefits of walking for the elderly Did you know that May is National Walking Month? As the country is opening upContinue reading “Three huge benefits of walking for the elderly”
- What care options are available?Families going through the emotional stress of placing a spouse or relative into care, often tell us they find the terminology confusing so this blog aims to help explain the different types of care available. Understandably, most elderly people want to live independently in their own homes for as long as they can. But many people are not aware of what their local options are.
- A moment to reflect this Aprild you know that we celebrated National Reflection Day recently? Reflection day is about taking time to connect, supporting the millions of people who are grieving and remembering the family, friends, neighbours and colleagues we’ve lost over the last two years. Marie Curie spearheaded the campaign for a Day of Reflection to mark the anniversary of the beginning of the first UK Lockdown – and to let bereaved people know that they are not alone.
- What is home care?Many of our clients want to live independently in their own home for as long as they can. It is for this reason they choose us as the home care service we provide in and around the Tunbridge Wells, Tonbridge and Sevenoaks areas helps facilitate this.
- Why hire an at-home carer?Why hire an at-home carer? We love our families dearly and in an ideal world we’d all be able to take care ofContinue reading “Why hire an at-home carer? “
- Welcoming in spring at Birchwood Care ServicesWelcoming in spring at Birchwood Care Services Spring has sprung at Birchwood Care Services. The official start to the season might not beContinue reading “Welcoming in spring at Birchwood Care Services”
- Sharing the Valentine’s love this FebruarySharing the Valentine’s love this February Celebrating our staff This month, Birchwood Care Services is sharing the Valentine’s love with a blog celebratingContinue reading “Sharing the Valentine’s love this February”