A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words
We know that, in general, exercising our creative inner selves enhances quality of life and nurtures overall well-being but studies in art therapy confirm that creative, artistic pursuits can provide older adults especially with multiple benefits, having a positive effect on the mind, soul – even the body.
As well as being highly cathartic, art appreciation helps boost seniors’ happiness and confidence with artistic activities such as painting or colouring keeping their mind focused and giving them a sense of purpose. It is even known to reduce feelings of anxiety, isolation, thanks to the release of dopamine, the ‘feel-good’ chemical – a natural anti-depressant found in the body.
Just as with young children, something as simple as cutting and sticking or painting can help with an elderly person’s dexterity and motor skills. It also helps with hand-eye coordination; following a pattern or creating a design of their own stimulates different parts of the brain. Creative therapy is also an ideal activity for those with dementia and Alzheimer’s as painting or colouring will take them back to happy times spent as a child, or with their own children.
A study in the US concluded that the arts do have a positive effect on health and illness as we age and that artistic activities offer a wide range of benefits, including:
- providing a sense of control
- reducing depression and anxiety
- reducing boredom & helping with socialisation
- encouraging playfulness and a sense of humour
- improving cognition & offering sensory stimulation
- increasing self-esteem & fostering a stronger sense of identity
Here at Birchwood Care Services, we firmly believe in the therapeutic benefits of the creative arts and our team of dedicated carers are happy to support our clients with art sessions as well as taking them to local art events and exhibitions. Our friends at Birchwood House also regularly encourage residents to take part in art & craft sessions.
Other articles you may like
- Domestic support is available in your homeKeeping things clean and tidy in your own home can get tougher as you get older. Vacuuming and laundry can be harder toContinue reading “Domestic support is available in your home”
- Meet Care Co-ordinator GeorgiaGeorgia is one of three Care Co-ordinators at Birchwood Care Services and has worked with the organisation for 10 months. She is undertakingContinue reading “Meet Care Co-ordinator Georgia”
- Tips for keeping the elderly safe during extreme heatTips for keeping the elderly safe during extreme heat Here in Britain, we are simply not used to high temperatures we sometimes experienceContinue reading “Tips for keeping the elderly safe during extreme heat”
- Birchwood to host Summer Open Day in JuneWe are delighted to announce that Birchwood Care will be hosting an Open Day on Saturday 26th June from 2-4pm. The Open Day willContinue reading “Birchwood to host Summer Open Day in June”
- Your questions answered about a care assessmentWe understand a lot of different terms are used within the industry when it comes to home assessments and what is involved atContinue reading “Your questions answered about a care assessment”
- Cream Tea Giveaway – who will you invite for tea?We’re giving away a Cream Tea for Two with the May issue of Birchwood Care and on our Facebook page. Our Chef atContinue reading “Cream Tea Giveaway – who will you invite for tea?”
- Meet Mary, Domestic Support Worker at Birchwood.Enabling people to retain their independence and stay in their own home is one of the aims of Birchwood Care Services. The teamContinue reading “Meet Mary, Domestic Support Worker at Birchwood.”
- Meet Bethany – Care Co-ordinator at Birchwood.Every day is different and rewarding, says Care Co-ordinator and Relief Supervisor Bethany, who has worked for Birchwood Care Services for just overContinue reading “Meet Bethany – Care Co-ordinator at Birchwood.”
- The Power Of Aromatherapy For The ElderlyThe Power Of Aromatherapy For The Elderly. Aromatherapy is the use of aromatic plants or essential oils to promote wellbeing through scent andContinue reading “The Power Of Aromatherapy For The Elderly”