How to start a career in home care
We have absolutely fantastic staff here at Birchwood Care Services. Our staff develop a close relationship with our clients and find their jobs extremely satisfying and rewarding. If you are looking at a career in home care but don’t know where to start then hopefully this article gives some more insight!
We look for the following key traits in our staff, which we feel are essential in becoming a great carer:
- Attitude – A positive, caring and cheerful attitude is critical when it comes to a career in home care. Our staff work so closely with our clients and forming a close bond with them is so key to offering great care that a positive and friendly attitude is essential. Cheerfulness can also lead to happiness in the elderly which is really important as we discussed previously.
- Patience – Many of our clients are at a difficult and stressful time of their lives so having patience with them is key, and giving time to a client personally can make an enormous difference to them.
- Empathy – This is often seen as a vital trait in taking care of others as the more comfortable our clients feel with our staff the better. Empathy is therefore a key trait we look for in our carers.
- Respect – Home care staff are dealing with clients often at a very difficult time of their life. They may have just lost a partner, or be dealing with physical and mental frailties they haven’t experienced before. Showing clients both dignity and respect is a vital trait in a great carer.
If you feel like you have all these personality traits then a career in home care may very well be for you. You don’t need a qualification to apply for a job with us, but we will offer to support you with extensive training when you join.
There are many fantastic benefits to working in home care which include:
- Flexibility in hours – Our staff are able to work flexible hours in and around their family life.
- Training – At Birchwood Care Services we are passionate about developing our staff and will invest in their on-going training, which is enormously beneficial to their career progression.
- Job Satisfaction – A career in home care is an extremely rewarding and fulfilling job. Not only will you make a real difference to the clients you work with, but their families will be incredibly grateful to you too.
If you are interested in a career in home care, the first step is usually to speak to someone like us. We will talk you through in more detail, answer any questions you may have – feel free to give our team a call on 01892 863 710 and we will be happy to advise!
We are always looking for new team members who want a rewarding and fulfilling career with great training and career progression opportunities. You can see current vacancies on the careers page of our website.
Other articles you may like
- Domestic support is available in your homeKeeping things clean and tidy in your own home can get tougher as you get older. Vacuuming and laundry can be harder toContinue reading “Domestic support is available in your home”
- Meet Care Co-ordinator GeorgiaGeorgia is one of three Care Co-ordinators at Birchwood Care Services and has worked with the organisation for 10 months. She is undertakingContinue reading “Meet Care Co-ordinator Georgia”
- Tips for keeping the elderly safe during extreme heatTips for keeping the elderly safe during extreme heat Here in Britain, we are simply not used to high temperatures we sometimes experienceContinue reading “Tips for keeping the elderly safe during extreme heat”
- Birchwood to host Summer Open Day in JuneWe are delighted to announce that Birchwood Care will be hosting an Open Day on Saturday 26th June from 2-4pm. The Open Day willContinue reading “Birchwood to host Summer Open Day in June”
- Your questions answered about a care assessmentWe understand a lot of different terms are used within the industry when it comes to home assessments and what is involved atContinue reading “Your questions answered about a care assessment”
- Cream Tea Giveaway – who will you invite for tea?We’re giving away a Cream Tea for Two with the May issue of Birchwood Care and on our Facebook page. Our Chef atContinue reading “Cream Tea Giveaway – who will you invite for tea?”
- Meet Mary, Domestic Support Worker at Birchwood.Enabling people to retain their independence and stay in their own home is one of the aims of Birchwood Care Services. The teamContinue reading “Meet Mary, Domestic Support Worker at Birchwood.”
- Meet Bethany – Care Co-ordinator at Birchwood.Every day is different and rewarding, says Care Co-ordinator and Relief Supervisor Bethany, who has worked for Birchwood Care Services for just overContinue reading “Meet Bethany – Care Co-ordinator at Birchwood.”
- The Power Of Aromatherapy For The ElderlyThe Power Of Aromatherapy For The Elderly. Aromatherapy is the use of aromatic plants or essential oils to promote wellbeing through scent andContinue reading “The Power Of Aromatherapy For The Elderly”