Maintaining personal care with dignity
Maintaining personal hygiene and daily routines can become increasingly challenging for loved ones as they get older. Standards might slip and approaching the subject of personal care can be uncomfortable for family members and care givers; it is sometimes difficult to convince an elderly relative or patient to accept outside help as they feel it will compromise their dignity, self-esteem, and privacy.
Birchwood Care Services recognise that having to accept assistance with everyday tasks can be a daunting prospect. We can help with a range of personal needs, such as bathing, dressing and toileting, as well as companionship, support and necessary care so loved ones feel comfortable, safe and happy.
With person-centred care at the heart of each plan, we recruit genuinely caring staff who treat our clients with kindness, dignity and respect. Birchwood’s qualified carers have a wealth of experience in helping individuals with their personal hygiene and can assist with a range of personal care tasks and routines, including:
- Morning care – assistance with getting up in the morning
- Dressing and grooming – including getting ready for outings
- Bathing, washing and personal hygiene
- Toileting – help and support with toileting and incontinence
- Medication – assistance with medicine regimes
- Changing or maintaining a stoma or catheter bag, or other form of clinical intervention
- Oral hygiene
- Applying make-up, help with shaving and hair care
- Foot care
- Evening care – settling in for the evening and/or going to bed
- Preparing, cooking and serving meals
- Shopping – both going to collect items and putting them away
Our fully-trained carers understand the importance of enabling a patient’s dignity and independence at all times, providing necessary personal care in a way that is discreet, sympathetic – and respectful, both to the patient and to their home. We also recognise that there may be some things they’d prefer to do for themselves and we will always give patients space when they want it -and encourage independence whenever it is appropriate.
Birchwood can provide the long- or short-term support required to enable your loved one to continue living at home. Call 01892 863710 to find out how we can personalise the services they need. Our friendly and knowledgeable client-referral team will ask about their specific needs and will be happy to provide a no-obligation assessment at home.
Other articles you may like
- Domestic support is available in your homeKeeping things clean and tidy in your own home can get tougher as you get older. Vacuuming and laundry can be harder toContinue reading “Domestic support is available in your home”
- Meet Care Co-ordinator GeorgiaGeorgia is one of three Care Co-ordinators at Birchwood Care Services and has worked with the organisation for 10 months. She is undertakingContinue reading “Meet Care Co-ordinator Georgia”
- Tips for keeping the elderly safe during extreme heatTips for keeping the elderly safe during extreme heat Here in Britain, we are simply not used to high temperatures we sometimes experienceContinue reading “Tips for keeping the elderly safe during extreme heat”
- Birchwood to host Summer Open Day in JuneWe are delighted to announce that Birchwood Care will be hosting an Open Day on Saturday 26th June from 2-4pm. The Open Day willContinue reading “Birchwood to host Summer Open Day in June”
- Your questions answered about a care assessmentWe understand a lot of different terms are used within the industry when it comes to home assessments and what is involved atContinue reading “Your questions answered about a care assessment”
- Cream Tea Giveaway – who will you invite for tea?We’re giving away a Cream Tea for Two with the May issue of Birchwood Care and on our Facebook page. Our Chef atContinue reading “Cream Tea Giveaway – who will you invite for tea?”
- Meet Mary, Domestic Support Worker at Birchwood.Enabling people to retain their independence and stay in their own home is one of the aims of Birchwood Care Services. The teamContinue reading “Meet Mary, Domestic Support Worker at Birchwood.”
- Meet Bethany – Care Co-ordinator at Birchwood.Every day is different and rewarding, says Care Co-ordinator and Relief Supervisor Bethany, who has worked for Birchwood Care Services for just overContinue reading “Meet Bethany – Care Co-ordinator at Birchwood.”
- The Power Of Aromatherapy For The ElderlyThe Power Of Aromatherapy For The Elderly. Aromatherapy is the use of aromatic plants or essential oils to promote wellbeing through scent andContinue reading “The Power Of Aromatherapy For The Elderly”