What is home care?
Many of our clients want to live independently in their own home for as long as they can. It is for this reason they choose us as the home care service we provide in and around the Tunbridge Wells, Tonbridge and Sevenoaks areas helps facilitate this. But many do not know what their options are when they realise they or a friend or relative needs additional care, or what home care really is in practice when compared to other options, and this article aims to give more knowledge and information on the subject.
Home care works by supporting the elderly in their own home with whatever they need – it could be something as simple as helping with domestic chores, such as preparing and cooking meals, or perhaps help with bathing, dressing and grooming or even feeding and walking the dog!
Each person is different and will therefore require a different level of care which is why at Birchwood Care Services we always create a bespoke home care plan for each new client to ensure their needs are met. If you want more information about this then head over to an article we published on finding care at home for a loved one.
So what are the options?
When it becomes clear that an elderly relative needs additional care, there are a number of choices. We have covered some of these in previous articles, such as the difference between assisted living and homecare but to summarise, the most common options are as follows:
- Home care – Home care services give support to those who need it in their own home.
- Live in care – Live in care applies when someone wants to stay in their own home but they need 24/7 care, so a carer will be with them at all times.
- Residential Care home – A care home provides accommodation and care to those who need extra support. We work closely with our colleagues at Birchwood House which is a a wonderful care home.
- Assisted Living – You have some form of independence with assisted living as you’re in usually a self-contained flat but with staff available to provide support where required.
And how does it work if home care is needed?
If you have decided that home care is the most appropriate solution for you or your relative, but are unsure about the steps you need to take, then head over to the process page of our website for more information. Alternatively feel free to get in touch with our friendly team who will be able to answer any questions you may have.
Your situation or health may change quickly, and we can always react to this if necessary and if, for example you have a fall and need additional care, you can go into the care home of our colleagues at Birchwood House for a period of respite care. We will also review your care on an on-going basis to ensure you’re getting the level of care needed, and will advise either you or your family if we feel a different care package would be appropriate.
Although a very brief guide, we hope this gives some insight into what home care is and if you need any advice about home care either for you or a friend or relative then do give us a call on 01892 863 710 and we would be delighted to help and advise.
Other articles you may like
- Domestic support is available in your homeKeeping things clean and tidy in your own home can get tougher as you get older. Vacuuming and laundry can be harder toContinue reading “Domestic support is available in your home”
- Meet Care Co-ordinator GeorgiaGeorgia is one of three Care Co-ordinators at Birchwood Care Services and has worked with the organisation for 10 months. She is undertakingContinue reading “Meet Care Co-ordinator Georgia”
- Tips for keeping the elderly safe during extreme heatTips for keeping the elderly safe during extreme heat Here in Britain, we are simply not used to high temperatures we sometimes experienceContinue reading “Tips for keeping the elderly safe during extreme heat”
- Birchwood to host Summer Open Day in JuneWe are delighted to announce that Birchwood Care will be hosting an Open Day on Saturday 26th June from 2-4pm. The Open Day willContinue reading “Birchwood to host Summer Open Day in June”
- Your questions answered about a care assessmentWe understand a lot of different terms are used within the industry when it comes to home assessments and what is involved atContinue reading “Your questions answered about a care assessment”
- Cream Tea Giveaway – who will you invite for tea?We’re giving away a Cream Tea for Two with the May issue of Birchwood Care and on our Facebook page. Our Chef atContinue reading “Cream Tea Giveaway – who will you invite for tea?”
- Meet Mary, Domestic Support Worker at Birchwood.Enabling people to retain their independence and stay in their own home is one of the aims of Birchwood Care Services. The teamContinue reading “Meet Mary, Domestic Support Worker at Birchwood.”
- Meet Bethany – Care Co-ordinator at Birchwood.Every day is different and rewarding, says Care Co-ordinator and Relief Supervisor Bethany, who has worked for Birchwood Care Services for just overContinue reading “Meet Bethany – Care Co-ordinator at Birchwood.”
- The Power Of Aromatherapy For The ElderlyThe Power Of Aromatherapy For The Elderly. Aromatherapy is the use of aromatic plants or essential oils to promote wellbeing through scent andContinue reading “The Power Of Aromatherapy For The Elderly”